While the city was preferred by New England and other northern states as a permanent capital for the new country, the southern states ultimately prevailed in their choice of a location south of the Mason–Dixon line.
Throughout the 19th century, Trenton grew steadily, as European immigrants came to work in its pottery and wire rope mills.
By 1719, the town adopted the name "Trent-towne", after William Trent, one of its leading landholders who purchased much of the surrounding land from Stacy's family. During the American Revolutionary War, the city was the site of the Battle of Trenton, George Washington's first military victory.
On December 25-26, 1776, Washington and his army, after crossing the icy Delaware River to Trenton, defeated the Hessian troops garrisoned there.
The remaining portion of Trenton Township was absorbed by the City of Trenton on April 10, 1837.
The first settlement which would become Trenton was established by Quakers in 1679, in the region then called the Falls of the Delaware, led by Mahlon Stacy from Handsworth, Sheffield, England.
Quakers were being persecuted in England at this time and North America provided an opportunity to exercise their religious freedom.
The under-18 population has declined steadily over the past 10 years, leading to declined school enrollment in several counties.
The towns with the highest percentage of singles might need to worry about this trend in the coming decades.